Unique real estate listings, a key to unlock extra Airbnb money
In Aotearoa, this includes The Boot House in Nelson, the Hobbit-like “Lake End” retreat in Taranaki and the Yellow Submarine in Marton.
While treehouses and barns are popular, Tiny Homes are the most booked by Airbnb guests, with more than 2.5 million nights booked at Tiny Homes in 2021 worldwide.
Of course, New Zealand likes to do things a little differently, with farm stays beating out cottages for the top spot here.
However, small houses do not necessarily mean small yields. Around the world, they have collectively earned their hosts a total of over US$195 million in 2021 – the most profitable single space type.
A deeper dive into the unique hosts reveals that many are over 50 and most are women. In Aotearoa, more than half of all unique listing hosts were over the age of 50, and more than seven in ten were women.
On the other hand, customers booking single stays are rather younger with more than eight out of 10 customers booking single stays aged under 50 in Aotearoa, although still mainly women.
The result? Unique stays average 4.8 stars globally; shepherd’s huts, barns, and trains receive the highest average ratings.
And they generally provide a great introduction to accommodations, with nearly half of the world’s unique stays making up their host’s top list.
The most sought-after unique homes in the world are:
- The Georgia Treehouse with hot tub (East Point, Georgia, USA)
- The Mushroom Dome Retreat & LAND of Paradise Suite (Aptos, CA, USA)
- Redwood Treehouse Santa Cruz Mtns. (Watsonville, California, USA)
- Aromatic green trullo (Ostuni, Apúlia, Italy)
- Historical tower overlooking the lake and the countryside (Tuoro sul Trasimeno, Umbria, Italy)
- Luxurious stone villa in Crete (Chania, Kriti, Greece)
- Rainforest Tree House with Hot Springs (San Carlos, Alajuela Province, Costa Rica)
- DreamCaught Treehouses – Treehouse (Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai, Thailand)
- Live like a king in my castle (Galway, Ireland)
- Holiday house in the Prussian village church (Havelsee, Brandenburg, Germany).