Tourist family of four dies minutes apart in sauna complex at 5-star hotel – World News
A mystery surrounds the deaths of four people as police investigate how they all perished within minutes of each other, amid fears they were overwhelmed by deadly fumes while in a compound saunas in Albania
A tourist family of four died of “asphyxiation” in a sauna complex of a 5-star hotel on vacation in Albania.
The dead included a Russian couple aged 60 and 59, as well as their daughter Katya, 31, and her partner, 37.
Mystery surrounds their deaths as police investigate how they all perished within minutes of each other, amid fears of being overwhelmed by deadly fumes.
They had recently moved into the luxurious Gloria Palace Hotel when they went to the sauna and passed away.
The family had ordered refreshments from their sauna complex.
Albanian media quoted a hotel worker as saying: “I have repeatedly shouted that the drinks and fruit are ready.
“No one answered, so I walked into the sauna and saw them all. One person was lying on a deckchair, two were on the benches (sauna).
“The last one was sitting with his legs in the pool. They all suffocated.
A police statement said: “At around 10:20 pm in Qerret, Kavaja, the bodies of four people of Russian nationality were found in a sauna.
“They had all been suffocated.
Police said hotel staff were being questioned.
Investigators are trying to establish how they died within minutes of each other, fearing they had been affected by the fumes.
A source said: “They had only arrived at the hotel an hour before the tragedy.”
Reports said all hotel staff were interviewed at a compound about 30 miles west of the capital Tirana.
Investigations were underway to determine whether there had been a technical failure of the sauna system or inadequate handling of tourists by hotel staff.
Alcohol consumption by victims is also being investigated.
The Russian Embassy in Tirana has been informed of the tragedy.