HGA completes the Capital One room at the heart of the Capital One center in Tysons, Virginia.
Located amidst street-oriented retail and the Watermark Hotel in the growing Tysons East neighborhood, the 149,000 square foot Capital One Hall features a variety of public spaces to host a range of events. , of Broadway concert productions and tours in Fairfax County non-profit artistic functions and business meetings.
Capital city A room large event spaces include:
- The Main Theater, with 1600 seats and a stage with a pit and fly orchestra system.
- The vault, a black box theater with a capacity of 225 seats, ideal for smaller, multidisciplinary performances and performances.
- The atrium, a versatile four-story open space that can accommodate up to 1,000 people standing or 500 people seated, which can be configured to accommodate a wide range of events.
- La Perche, a rooftop public park one hundred feet above the street, provides the community and the wider region with an outdoor event venue and public gathering space through Capital One Center’s partnership with Fairfax County Park Authority. It includes the installation of the Starr Hill Biergarten. Over 10,000 people attended PerchFest, the park’s opening celebration of 17-19 Sep 2021.
Visibly clad in shiny white marble amid a sea of glassed-in skyscrapers, Capital One Hall’s shiny exterior facade is punctuated by vertical windows carefully integrated into the folds of the building envelope to capture and reflect light into public spaces and the atrium.
Sandwiched between Wegmans’ loading dock and The Perch rooftop park, The Hall incorporates a structural box-in-box approach, driven by the need to dampen noise and vibrations from human activity and surrounding vehicular.
“The meticulously designed structure of the main theater is dressed in a rich palette of interior finishes to create a warm and welcoming environment for the audience,” Nat Madson, HGA Project Designer, described. “Sculptural walnut joinery frames the audience seating rooms, while brass-colored metal panels – bent and perforated to meet strict acoustical criteria – line the room and surround the proscenium.”
Given the building’s tight space limitations, the design stacks the audience vertically, allowing for clear sight lines and a closer proximity between audience and performer than is typical for a theater of this size. HGA also led the interior lighting design for Capital One Hall and the exterior lighting for the Starr Hill Biergarten.
“Within a limited footprint, we were able to create a dynamic experience for customers, separating the visitor from the urban environment and then reconnecting them to it in surprising ways through a cascade of gallery spaces that rotate in spiral around the performance hall via a grand staircase, “mentioned Weeping scott, Associate Vice-President and Director at HGA.
The design features of the Capital One room include:
- Outstanding materials: The targeted use of interior materials identifies unique spaces. Rich woodwork surrounds the theater, while the peripheral terrazzo staircase leads from one interior terrace to the other.
- Innovative acoustics: The theater spaces are meticulously designed for sound and vibration isolation from the human and automobile traffic that surrounds them. Rubber pads isolate performance spaces, while the perforated metal of the theater’s interior walls conceals advanced acoustic enhancement systems to diffuse and absorb noise for optimal sound quality.
- Form meets function: The jagged design of the Atrium ceiling both echoes the facade of the building and provides deep areas for tree planting on the rooftop garden. The terraced levels of the Atrium are repeated in the staggered elevations of the exterior spaces.
- Exceptional durability: The design of Capital One Hall adheres to some of the highest standards in sustainability. Water-efficient landscaping, along with stormwater quality and quantity controls, exceeds standard performance. Capital One Block C has installed over 30,000 square feet of green roof, a stormwater reuse system and 16 street-side bioretentions to treat and retain stormwater, exceeding Virginia redevelopment goals and requirements , Fairfax County and Tysons. The finishes and coatings have been selected for their low or zero emissions to help promote healthy indoor environments for humans. The building envelope has been optimized for daylighting and views, as well as to mitigate solar gains and reduce energy loads. The heating and cooling systems are zoned and optimized to include energy recovery systems which, combined with the optimized envelope, are expected to achieve more than 27% energy savings compared to a building conforming to the coded. The project provides for LEED 2009 NC Gold certification.
“The Capital One Hall team is proud to have partnered with HGA in the design of a world-class venue, opening October 1st to Tyson, Virginia,” noted Jonathan griffith, Managing Director of Capital One Center. “Capital One Hall is a spectacular space – from the Italian marble facade to the 2.5 acre rooftop sky park – this complex project will be a destination for all to enjoy and experience.”
Capital city A room sits at a crossroads of multimodal transportation options and can be reached by pedestrians, cyclists, Silver Line metro users and drivers. The building brings together key elements of city life, with a grocery store on the ground floor, a state-of-the-art performance and event space inside, and a fully landscaped rooftop park with a Biergarten.
HGA would like to congratulate our employees on Capital One Hall:
- HGA: Architect
- Capital One: Owner
- Cushman & Wakefield: Project Development Partner
- Mueller Associates: MEP Engineering
- Internship Consultants: Acoustics & A / V
- George Sexton Associates: exterior facade lighting
- Thornton Tomasetti: Structural engineering
- Arup: Favsade Consultant and Code & Life Safety
- Whiting-Turner: Construction Manager
Photo courtesy of: Photography © Alain karchmer
About the Capital One room
Capital city A room, part of Capital One Center’s larger mixed-use development in Tysons, Va., designed by HGA and managed by ASM Global, will open October 1, 2021. It includes a 1,600-seat performance hall designed for Broadway productions, comedies and concerts; a 225-seat Black Box theater; a green space on the roof with a stage and Starr Hill Biergarten; and several other spaces for large and small events. Capital city A room is located a short walk from McLean Tube Station on the Silver Line and has ample covered parking. Visit CapitalOneHall.com or follow Facebook, Instagram, Where Twitter.
About Center Capital One
Capital One Center, the public part of Capital One’s global headquarters in Tysons, Virginia, redefines mixed-use development by delivering a rewarding arts-based experience. When fully built, this SF 6 million entertainment destination will be home to a vibrant array of public art, entertainment and retail, including a world-class corporate events and performing arts center. , Capital One Hall, The Perch and a 300 -key corporate accommodation facility, The Watermark Hotel. Capital One Center is carefully designed to create a pedestrianized campus where small steps lead to great experiences. Visit CapitalOneCenter.com or follow Instagram, Facebook Where LinkedIn.
HGA is a national, interdisciplinary design company committed to making a positive and lasting impact for our customers and communities through holistic, research-based solutions. We believe that good design requires a sense of curiosity, which allows us to have a deep understanding of our clients, their contexts and the human condition. We are a collective of more than 800 architects, engineers, interior designers, urban planners, researchers and strategists. Our practice spans multiple markets, including business, culture, education, local and federal government, healthcare, and science and technology. Visit HGA.com or follow LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.